Friday, July 10, 2015

week 7

FAMILIAR: The Presidents of the United States of America album
https://youtu.be/9DHXaGXJixs?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/T-S3n-p8TGQ?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/bpgP62fInAw?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/tac71micVyQ?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/iblg5G3NTjo?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/9fMU_AKuho4?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/d_aAitxwrjo?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/4TeFBsstJH4?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
https://youtu.be/GHPkLuVBQ1Y?list=PLuxdXoJQ7VuPnyNqlbZmZ5ZrbrZrQ9Ls9
To me, The Presidents pretty much are my childhood.  They were the other side of me, the side of m that only my closest friends knew about.  They are funny and tell stories in their songs.  Makes me think of a 90s version of a jongleur.  Purely entertainment, and bottom of the hierarchy chain.  They are the typical 90s band, they have a guitar and a base guitar and drums.  Hope you enjoy!





UNFAMILIAR: 3 hours relaxing music      https://youtu.be/ik22FS1cEFg
I listened to the first 20 minutes.  This was very beautiful and just like the title said, relaxing.  As you know from my other blogs I am a big fan of the piano!  Youtube recommended that I listened to this and they hit it spot on!
As the title also says, there is a violin and a piano.  I want to say that there might be a keyboard also because there are different sounds but it still seems like it is in the keyboard family.  I am also pretty sure this is in duple meter (I could be wrong though).  There are times where it seems like the violin is accompanying the piano and also the other way around.   Keeping the audiences attention.  Now is this in a minor? Is that why they call it sad piano and violin? I don't find it sad.  I feel it is deep and meaningful, very beautiful and relaxing.  Far from sad. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought that this band sounded familiar! You brought in one of their songs for the day we all brought in CDs. Presidents of the United States of America have a very unique different sound. I think that I could pick out their songs now if I did not know the song already. I do hear the guitar, bass guitar, and drums present in all of these songs as you mentioned. I also love the piano! The beginning of your unfamiliar song has a very simple yet beautiful melody. This is very relaxing to listen to, however I probably could not see myself watching the full three hours unless I was trying to fall asleep or something, haha. The violin makes quite the entrance it contrasts well with the piano being soft and it being louder. I also think they are using either a cello or a viola because there is a lower part added in later along with the violin. I like how the melody picks up speed a little to give the song variation. I do hear the other higher keyboard instrument you mentioned. I think that the reason they call it sad because it is not upbeat and usually people connotate violins with sadness if the tempo is slow and the notes are long and sustained. I do hear some minor parts in the song as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete