Thursday, June 11, 2015

week 3

When I think of texture in music the first thing that comes to mind is dance music / techno / electronic / house / progressive / trance all those sorts of things.  so...
The first song I listened to was Morgan Page - Open Heart
then Morgan Page - Longest Road
yes there is a theme! I chose this DJ because I know that this type of music is not what everyone really enjoys but since it is euro its not as bad as progressive or trance which do not always have a lot of words and are more just sounds.  Anyways then song 3.
Morgan Page - Fight for You
And song 4 which is the one I will be commenting on.
Morgan Page - In the Air
Now this song is an electronicly mixed song so the musical instruments... some of them I have no clue purely because they are a DJ mixer board thing (not sure one the correct terminology).  But Morgan Page starts this particular song with what to me songs like either a xylophone or a glockenspiel I am not sure which one.  After the intro the singer comes in softer than one would think but quickly builds when the rest of the "musical instruments" join in.  Although there is a lot going on in the background there really is a great melody between it all.  You wouldn't think that all these sounds would sound so good and complete together.  The tempo is constantly changing in this music and it keeps you very interested on what Mr. Morgan Page is going to come up with next.

My unfamiliar music for the week.  I chose to keep with the same type of music (kind of).  I googled what was the first techno music.  Google came up with Detroit Techno.  Me being an avid listener of all sorts of the dance music genre was really surprised that i had never heard of it before.  And I guess... maybe I have, AND SHUT IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!!!  Some relate certain types of music to certain types of drugs and I think you would have to be on something special to really enjoy this music.  I feel it much worse than some of the trance and other non worded music I have heard.  Anyways... First song.  Undergrounds Resistance - Punisher
C Y B O T R O N'Alleys Of Your Mind' (Deep Space 1981)
Model 500 - NO UFO'S
The one thing that I can really say about this is that at almost any point you could stop the song and I would feel both complete and incomplete cadence.  Complete because it is staccato like (and I'm excited to turn it off) but also incomplete (only a little bit though) because at very few moments your questioning what about the next minute.  I really do not think that I could name 1 musical instrument used in these 3 songs.  The last one though (unfortunately?) had words.  They too sounded electronic.  I do not believe that they added anything good to the song.  But the song was about UFOs so kind of an odd subject whether they be just making music or being homophonic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment