FAMILIAR MUSIC
Elle King - Americas Sweetheart https://youtu.be/5Ey-UCq6O7k
Elle King - Ex's & Oh's https://youtu.be/0uLI6BnVh6w
Kat Edmonson - Summertime https://youtu.be/E2oNhUD8xgo
Kat Edmonson - What Else can I Do https://youtu.be/maHKzbUXmtE
I am going to write about Elle King's Americas Sweetheart. I have just recently stumbled upon Elle King, just about a week ago. She is another one that I just love her voice! The raspy, blues, don't really know how to explain, but its just not perfect! Which is what makes it so good. You can hear a few times throughout the song when he voice cracks and shes almost yell/singing/screaming. This song has great "old country" vibe to it. It has a banjo! And you can definitely slap your knee to it while your driving your truck on the back road with a can of cheap beer in your cup holder (I would never do this!)! The tempo speeds up and slows down in between chorus and verses and at the end of the song she speeds everything up just a little bit more! Great all around and it is done very well. Imperfections and all!
UNFAMILIAR
Kat Edmonson - Lucky https://youtu.be/68xjjR5ztoQ
Kat Edmonson - I Don't Know https://youtu.be/-xdqbgIOaVo
George Gershwin - Summertime https://youtu.be/K6DI6ysDemk
Billie Holliday - Summertime https://youtu.be/vAITYPTTh3I
I am going to write about George Gershwin's Summertime. It is a very beautiful song and quite instrumental. I hear what I think is a clarinet and drums and many other things! I looked it up after I got lost with all the instruments and it is written for an orchestra. So, many instruments! Even though I love the version with no words, I also love the Billie Holliday version (with words). Its a very beautiful song either way. And I also really really love the version that I have on my familiar list by Kat Edmonson. As I said in a previous journal I love her voice! She would make George Gershwin proud I do believe! And, although her version, at least the version that I listened to today, only has a piano instead of the orchestra, it still sounds amazing!
It is very interesting to me how doesn't solo but concentrates on specific instruments during different times throughout the song. Its almost like he gives them all a chance to shine but still allows the rest of the orchestra to accompany.
Jackoynn,
ReplyDeleteSummertime by Gershwin was very pretty. I chose to listen to this song because I have heard of Gershwin but I could not think of anything by him. This song was pleasant but there was not enough pitch or dynamic change for me. I liked how this version end nice and soft and kind of fades out. I also listened to the Billie Holiday version and I agree I like it much better. The vocals add something to the song. I could pick of some of the melody from the instrumental only version but this sounded very different. Because of this I listened to a few other versions and depending on if there are vocals or not and what instruments are used this song can sound very different. I liked Dizzy Gillespie's instrumental version but I can't figure out how to add the link when I am responding :(.