Friday, June 5, 2015

week 2

 my week 2 listening journal familiar was this song
Kat Edmonson - Rainy Day Woman 3:45 (listened to 3 times)

https://youtu.be/im4U8749u8Y

The combination of the saxophone and keyboard and bass guitar are perfectly molded for this new aged jazz song.  I love this artist because she makes the jazz sound more modern.  She has the old classic voice from the 30s and 40s, puts a new spin on it and keeps you interested threw the whole song by using different pitches and slightly adjusting the melody and throwing in different instruments at different times.
The sequence during the end of the song when she says, "no one loves you like I do" builds up the anticipation to the end of the song.  It makes the words mean more and more each time that she says them. 

my unfamiliar song for week 2 was
Kurt Elling - Nature Boy 9:09


https://youtu.be/iXprs8-U5nA

I really enjoyed this piece because of the vocal range and the I think it would be the climax even thought it is towards the beginning of the song when the vocalist is finally joined by the entire orchestra instead of just the piano.  One of the big differences that I see in "new aged jazz" (at least that is what i would call it) compared to jazz is the use of scat.  we might use the same melody and tempo (or close to) but it doesn't have the same feel due to no scat.  The orchestra did a beautiful job combining their sound for this creation. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted this post because I had a few errors on the comment that I wrote. Sorry for making it so complicated.. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jacolynn! I listened to the first song that you posted, your familiar music. This type of sound is very different from one that I would usually listen to so it's interesting to listen to it. The singer has a sharp quality about her voice that makes her words song clearer than the usual singers these days. I would agree that it sounds jazzy, and I find it interesting how in the beginning at :18 what sounds like the plucking of stings adds to the jazzy feel. I heard some bass drum and a drum set in the percussion section that really keeps the tempo moving. At 1:35 I hear more strings which really separates her style from the original sound of jazz. Throughout the song, the saxophone solo is prominent and almost echoes her words, which was interesting to listen to. At 2:21, is a different sound, maybe because of the absence of the drum kit for a little bit of time. I like this part of the song the best because I am not the biggest fan of jazz. It almost songs like a harp that is in the background here which has an interesting tone to it. I like how the song kind of fades out at the end with the strings, her voice, the saxophone solo, and the percussion. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacolynn,

    You aren't kidding when you say that Kat's voice is the "old classic voice from the 30s and 40s" - what a unique timbre. I'm almost certain I've heard her perform on David Letterman not all that long ago. I don't know if this is an original piece or a cover, her voice is so unique that it's a refreshing color in the world of music. Thanks for sharing this!

    Elling's voice is incredible. Pure and simple. I sang vocal jazz at my community college (performed at Carnegie Hall even!), so I really enjoyed this performance, even though he's hard to watch. He moves too much for my taste, but his vocal performance is solid and compelling. Great selections this week!

    ~JM

    ReplyDelete